Thursday, January 22, 2015

First Quilt Top Finish for 2015

I finished my brother's quilt top - so glad.  I found a few aspects of piecing this quilt top to be a little stressful.

First, all those points coming together...I did my best not to cut off the tips when putting the blocks together and was satisfied with the overall results.

Second, four borders - I don't mind two, but four is a bit much especially managing all that quilt bulk and trying not to let the weight of the top stretch the border fabric while sewing.

Finally, the fabric raveling all over the place.  It is Haversack (RJR Fabrics) - big letdown in my opinion - I'm not a fan of constantly snipping threads and then having to zig zag the final border edges so I don't wind up with a huge mess on my hands after the quilting is done.



Now that is is completed, I'm happy with the way it turned out and I think my brother will like it as well.

Next step is to buy backing fabric, put it together and get this bad boy off to the quilter.

The quilt pattern is Arcadia Lane by Legacy Patterns.  I made a couple of modifications for this top: 1 added cornerstones and added a little extra width to the brick red inner border and the striped outer border, so the quilt finished at 71.5" x 83.5" (the pattern's finished size is 66" x 78").


1 comment:

  1. I think it's stunning - I love the borders, although there is NO WAY I'd do stripes, mine would be all wonky! Yours are just perfect.

    ReplyDelete