Sunday, January 11, 2015

A little encouragement goes a long way

My brother's quilt has been languishing in the sewing room. I sort of lost interest in it and was also a little daunted by all the points coming together in the seams of the blocks.  Anyway, I didn't make any more blocks after I finished the first two.  I kept walking past the piles of flying geese and rectangles waiting to be sewn into 1/4 blocks and tried to ignore them so maybe the quilt fairies would come finish them for me.

Well, I received the nicest comment from Allie and she mentioned that she really liked the quilt I was making for my brother.  That was all the motivation I needed to get cracking.  My poor brother is freezing out in TX and I know he could really use this quilt.  So I put my nose to the grindstone and got sewing.  I finished all the blocks and got them sewn into rows.


Now I will say these fabrics ravel like crazy - I hate working with fabrics that do that.  Even though I like the look of homespuns, you'll never see me make a quilt with them.  All the threads sticking out and pulling through make me crazy (and some days it's a short trip to crazy).

In any case, once I sew the rows together, I will need to add 4 borders to finish the quilt off.  I'm hoping I will be able to send it out to TX for him to use next winter.

A big thank you to Allie for giving me the motivation I needed to get this quilt going :)

1 comment:

  1. WOW!!!!!!! You work so fast - that is amazing - I love it, Mary!!! I think that is the best looking man's quilt I've ever seen. He's going to love it. I too love the look of homespuns, but have never quilted with them - I didn't know they would ravel like that, yikes! I remember trying to make a costume out of gold lame one time, never again, you could wave your hand over it and half of it would come away. I think I'll pass on the homespuns, unless I try fusible applique with them....

    And you're welcome for the motivation - I live to serve. :)

    ReplyDelete