In any case, I decided to sew up one of the alternate blocks just to see what it would look like. I only have to make ten of each, so it should go fairly quickly now that the cutting is done. I did find that I had to press the final seam open in order to reduce the bulk of all the flying geese points coming together in the center. When I first tried to press to one side, the bulk created a definite bump which is not desirable.
This is my first time making flying geese and it seems to waste an awful lot of fabric - the pattern instructs the quilter to cut a tan fabric rectangle 3.5" x 6.5" and then mark the red and blue squares with a diagonal line point to point. Put one square on one side of the tan rectangle, sew on the line, then cut the excess away leaving 1/4", press, and repeat on the other side. I'm thinking that there is a more efficient way to make flying geese. I'll have to do some research online before I make these again. In any case here are the two blocks that comprise the quilt center.
I'm done cutting and sewing for today, but at least now I'm ready to make some real progress the next time I get back to it :)
Have a great weekend!