Friday, August 15, 2014

The start of a new quilt for my brother

I have wanted to make a quilt for my brother for a long time, but had trouble finding the right fabrics and pattern.  It had to be something masculine and sort of "traditional".  I was at a quilting retreat earlier this year and we went to a quilt shop one evening.  While we were there, I spotted a quilt hanging on the wall.  It was made using civil war fabrics (definitely not my favorite), but the overall effect was nice and so I bought the fabrics and pattern.  The fabric line is Haversack by RJR.  The quilt is comprised of a series of windmill blocks in tans, blues, greens, browns, and reds.  Here is one of the blue, green and tan ones laid out on my cutting board.


When I made the first flying geese (flying goose - singular?), the fabric got sucked down the needle plate as I started to sew...grrr.  Normally, I just use a leader piece of fabric to avoid this problem, but didn't think it would work well since the seams are started at an angle.  Then I tried using a leader placed on the diagonal which works just fine, so now I'm on a roll.

Hope you get a chance to spend some time sewing this weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment