Monday, June 9, 2014

Brown Bag Alternative

Last year I made an insulated lunch bag for Em's birthday for her to use for first grade.  I wasn't so sure how well it would work, but I had bought the pattern years earlier and thought it would be a fun project to whip up for her sixth birthday.



The pattern is called "The Not So Brown Bag Insulated Fabric Lunch Bag" by Debbie Hogan.  It takes less than a day to make and it lasted through an entire year of first grade looking almost as good as new.  My daughter loved it because she could throw it in the washing machine when it needed a good cleaning and Em loved it because it was colorful and special.

This past Saturday I woke up wanting to start a project, but didn't want to get into anything that would take more than a day.  Em will be seven in July and I thought she might like another one for second grade.  I had picked up some fabrics about a month ago with this project in mind.


I cut the fabric up and quilted the individual pieces using InsulBrite insulated batting, and by 3:30 in the afternoon, the lunchbox was all finished.


The bag has a little pocket inside that holds eating utensils and napkins - maybe even a piece of candy or two.


I hope she will enjoy this during the next school year because I know the day will come when she won't want anything homemade or different from the other children in school.  Hopefully she'll enjoy Grammy's goodies for a few more years though  :)

Happy quilting!

2 comments: