Sunday, June 9, 2013

Insulated Lunchbox Project

I bought a pattern for an insulated lunchbox about six years ago thinking that I'd make one for myself to bring my lunch to work.  Well, years passed and I never attempted the project; however, motivation hit me about a month ago when I realized Em was graduating from Kindergarten.  I thought this would be a great project for a first grader who is going to a new school.  The lunchbox is made by sandwiching Insul-Bright batting (used for making potholders) between your fabrics of choice.  The fabric choices were easy because my little sweetie had seen an iron tote/pressing mat I had made awhile back and asked me if I could make her a matching purse.  Here's a picture of the iron tote.


which opens into this - perfect for quilting retreats or block pressing


So I worked on the lunch box and this is what it looks like


What is so neat is the closure - the front loop just loops around the handle - no closure mechanism is needed. Of course, you could add velcro or snaps if desired.

Here is the inside - notice the cute little pocket for storing napkins and silverware.


I was able to add a little personal touch (I always put a heart on her quilts with Grammy + Emily inside) which hopefully will make her smile when she opens her lunchbox because she will be reminded that I'm always thinking of her.

I made three napkins which used up most of the fabric left over from the project and will tuck nicely into the inner pocket.


I was really happy about the way this turned out.  It was a fairly easy project that took me a day to complete, including quilting the fabric pieces.  What's great, is that it can be tossed in the washing machine to be cleaned too.

I realize it's been a long time since I've been on Blogger, but work has been insane and blogging had to go because it was feeling like another job to me.  I've worked on lots of projects while I've been offline and will share them as I have a chance.

Take care and have a great week.

1 comment: