Friday, July 27, 2012

Something a little different

The last couple of quilt projects have been big (really big).  I have avoided working on my current WIP because it is hard to handle, sew, press, etc.  I really needed a break - something quick and easy, and most of all small.  So, when I saw this post over at Mama Spark's blog, I became inspired!  I have seen lots of mini quilts, and thought they were cute, but couldn't imagine them looking good in my house.  I'm a minimalist at heart and don't have knick knacks or stuff all over the place.  I'm happiest with surfaces cleared of clutter, but when I saw this picture, I thought I would really like to hang some mini quilts in my sewing room - they look great as a grouping on the wall.  The picture was posted over at Sentimental Quilter.

(From Collecting American Country by Mary Emmerling )


So this morning I set out to make a mini quilt.  Lynn over at Patchery Menagerie had posted a tutorial for her Exquisite quilt yesterday, and it was perfect timing :)  I remember when she made one of these a long time ago and I just loved it.  It's a scrap buster, which makes it even more appealing to me, since there is no shortage of scraps in my house.  So without further ado, here it is - a mini Exquisite



I started it this morning and it's all pieced and quilted - I love how the blocks make wonky stars when they are assembled.  I still have to bind it, but that will be a snap since it finished at 18" x 18"  So, there you have it - my first mini quilt.  It won't be the last - that is for sure!

1 comment:

  1. Oh well done! I saw Pam's post too, I love mini's - I do have some up on my walls, but would dearly love to have a wall like that. I'm tired of big quilts myself, but am cutting tons of fabric for more, lol. That's ok - I'll make a few mini's as well.

    You did a great job Mary, I think there will be more mini's in your future for sure!

    ReplyDelete