Saturday, November 5, 2011

Do you have a "go to" pattern?

I sure do, especially when I need a baby quilt in a jiffy!  It's called Warm Wishes.  I originally downloaded the bed sized pattern because I had seen a quilt made using this pattern hanging in one of the local quilt shops.  It can be downloaded here.  I had wanted to make one for my bed, but then I thought I'd try making a baby quilt first, so I looked around on the web to see if I could find one for a baby sized quilt (mainly to get the fabric requirements).  I found this site here.  The reason this is my "go to" pattern is that I can start cutting fabric mid-morning and have a completed cute quilt top by late afternoon.  The only thing that I have found over the years is that, for most quilt shop fabric, you don't need as much fabric.  I can usually get away with just cutting 5 of each sized strip unless the usable width of fabric is not around 43".  I usually buy a yard of the focal print for the six inch blocks, a half yard for the two and three inch strips of the pieced blocks (you'll have some left over from the two inch strip fabrics). 

Another thing I have learned is that contrast within the pieced blocks and the focal print blocks is important if you want the quilt to appear more dimensional.  Compare this one where there is a lot of contrast:


with this one where there isn't


The bright blue in the pieced blocks is too close to the value of the lime green in the focal fabric, so some of the dimension is lost.

Well, my mother has a good friend who is our Church Deacon's wife and they are expecting their first grandchild in January.  She asked me if I would make a biblical themed quilt that she can give to her friend, so naturally I started looking for Noah's Ark fabric.  I don't know the baby's gender, so I kept the quilt gender neutral. 

I found Noah's Ark fabric and then picked fabrics for the pieced blocks. 


I agonized over the green fabric because I wasn't sure if I should go darker.  In the end I stuck with my first green choice that matched the both lime and medium greens in the ark bodies.  Now that it is done, I wish I had paid attention to my instinct to go a little darker, but it is cute and will hopefully be used a lot by a healthy little baby boy or girl :)



The other reason this is a "go to" pattern is that if I quilt it myself, the back doesn't have to be pieced.  As usual, I will probably take this to be quilted, so I'll have to add some fabric to the backing width.  Here is the fabric for the backing.


So do you have a "go to" pattern?  If so, what is it?  I'd love to know!

3 comments:

  1. Cute quilt! I do - Yellow Brick Road. Six fat quarters and it sews up fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yellow Brick Road is fast becoming my go to pattern for quilts, and the Reversible Sundress for little girl gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the backing fabric. I'm new at this hobby so I don't have a favorite yet!

    ReplyDelete