Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sneeze, Sniffle, Snort...

Well, the fall allergy season has hit down here - with temperatures in the 90s - yuck.  It is miserable.  I am miserable.  However, the bright side of having allergies is that I have to stay inside in the air conditioning, so it is the perfect opportunity to work on a new project in between naps.  I decided to make one of those gift bags that I posted about here.

A long time ago, this black, white, and yellow Michael Miller fabric came out and I went nuts over it.  Over time I've used some and given some away, so I don't have a lot of it left.  I figured that these fabrics would make a cute 'any occasion' gift bag. 



These bags are simple to make, although I will make a few changes next time.  The pattern calls for cutting the Steam a Seam 1/2" smaller than the fabric pieces to be fused and then trimming 1/4" all the way around.  Unfortunately, this sometimes results in the Steam a Seam not making it all the way to the fabric edge and some ravelling (the edges are not finished in this project - they are left raw).  So, next time I'll cut the fabric pieces a bit larger to ensure the Steam a Seam extends beyond where the pieces will be trimmed, and I may even use the wavy/pinking rotary cutter blade to trim the pieces.  I think that might look nice too.  This bag is the large size and finished at 7" high with a 7" base.

I think I'll make a few of these out of Christmas fabrics and participate in Allie's Christmas Through the Year project :)

I hope you're having a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Hope you feel better soon, allergy season coming to an end here :-)
    Nice bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I recognize that fabric, lol!!! It's STILL a favorite of mine, such great fabric. I love your gift bag!! I hope your allergies clear up soon, they've somewhat lifted here, we had a light frost the other night. But now we're warming up again, not to the 90's though - stay cool!

    ReplyDelete