Saturday, July 9, 2011

Hip to be Square

I went to the quilt shop yesterday, returned the Bali Handpaints fat quarter bundles and looked around to see if I could find the same or similar fabrics on the bolt.  I found about half of them and was able to fill in with similar batiks for the rest.  The entire quilt shop emptied out to watch the final space shuttle lift off (the quilt shop is about fifteen miles from the Cape Canaveral Launch Complex).  It always makes my heart pound when the space shuttle lifts off, but this time it was very sad.  This final lift off signals the loss of a lot of jobs around the Space Coast and the ripple effects are going to be severe in this already stressed economy :(

I got home around 1:30, pressed the fabrics, cut out the 12.5" solid blocks and then went to pick up Miss Em.  We had a fabulous evening of tea parties and makeovers using her jewelry.  She is going to be four on the 18th of July and is so excited.  She keeps mentioning that she's too big for a lot of her old toys and the booster seat at the dining room table because she's a big girl now.   I'm going to go over and make up her bed with the Loveliness of Ladybugs quilt and pillowcases next Sunday while she's out so it will be a surprise.  I picked up a pretty white eyelet dust ruffle for her bed too.

I cut and sewed blocks for the Hip to be Square quilt for a couple of hours last night, got up early this morning and continued.  I finished the last of the blocks around 2:00.  I've been playing with the layout for awhile now, see?


I have to say that when you're working with blocks that finish at 12.5" the top is done in a jiffy.  I still have to cut a bunch of 4.5" squares for the borders, but that will have to wait for another day.

I hope you all are having a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment