Saturday, May 7, 2011

Has it really been that long?

I logged into Blogger to post a couple of pictures and my last post was April 17th.  I'm shocked that it's been so long.  Not much sewing has been going on, but this morning I decided to get the borders on the 2 Dr. Seuss quilt tops that have been sitting on my dining room table for a month (along with that Michael Miller Urban Zoo quilt top).

First, I got the borders on the baby quilt which will be about 46" x 56" when it is finished.  Since there were no blocks using the yellow border fabric around the edge of the quilt, it didn't need an inner border.  This is a nice size for a baby quilt - plenty big enough for tummy time without being too big to be portable.



Next, I tackled the larger quilt which will be a good size for a young child as a snuggly quilt for the couch or bed (58" x 67").  This one had blocks made up of the border fabric along the edge.  I had auditioned the colorful coordinate stripe in my earlier post, but I wasn't thrilled with it and the feedback wasn't encouraging.  Since I didn't really want to make the quilt a "boy quilt" or "girl quilt," I hesitated about the inner border.  This morning as I was plowing through my stripe stash, I found a half yard of wonky black and white stripe fabric that looks like a coordinate stripe, but since there was nothing on the selvage I'm not sure.  What I do know is that it worked nicely as a break between the blocks and the border, see?


As always, Alsley was "guarding" the quilt from his bed :)

I enjoyed a wonderful dinner with my Mom tonight (an early Mother's Day celebration).  We sat on the restaurant's covered patio and watched the boats go by on the intracoastal waterway.  Even though it was a warm day, we sat in the shade and there was a nice cool breeze coming off the water.  It was the perfect way to celebrate how blessed we are to have each other.  To all you Mom's out there - have a fabulous Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment