Sunday, October 31, 2010

There's a Wocket in my Pocket

Green eggs and ham for breakfast this morning, and I hope the Grinch doesn't steal Christmas this year (only 54 more days - yikes!).  I didn't get a lot of sewing done this weekend, but did manage to make these this morning.


Have a happy halloween and a great week.

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Blogger's Quilt Festival

Since this festival is falling over the Halloween weekend, here is a table topper that I made for my daughter and granddaughter a couple of years ago when Em was a baby.  I had purchased the pattern and fabrics as a kit, but when the package arrived, several of the fabrics (including the border) had been substituted with others. Needless to say, I was very aggravated, but I did a lot of searching online and managed to find and purchase all of the original fabrics.  I was very pleased once the table topper was finished.  We joke that it is a $150 45" x 45" table topper, but Em is enjoying it and hopefully it will be used by generations of family to come. 



This was the first time I had used prairie points along the edge of a quilt project and, in this case they really make the quilt.  It is quilted in a halloween pattern that includes pumpkins, witches, etc.

Off to go trick or treating (all treats - no tricks) at all the other quilt blogger's places linked over at the Blogger's Quilt Festival.  Thank you for stopping by :)

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Thrown for a Curve

I ordered a table runner kit from Keepsake Quilting right after the kitchen was remodeled in 2007. The kit was called "Bali Moons" and because the granite I chose was called Black Galaxy, I thought the table runner would create a moon and stars thing on the kitchen island.



Well, I started working on this project two years ago, made about eight blocks, and decided that sewing the curves was just not worth it.  Because batiks don't have as much give as normal woven fabrics, I was beyond frustrated when trying to sew all these curves, so I quit working on this project.  Over the past few months, my best friend and quilting buddy and I have been discussing how depressing it has become to look at all the half finished projects laying around, so I decided to knuckle down and finish the blocks for this project over this weekend or pitch it.  It was not fun, but I pushed through it and finished the blocks.  I cut down the size of the table runner by three blocks though - is that cheating?  Seriously, the finished size as designed is 60.5" x 20" and since I had ruined a couple of the blocks, I decided that 55.5" x 20" is plenty big enough.


I'll work on sewing the blocks together next weekend.

I hope you all have had a great weekend :)

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Oh What a Beautiful Mornin'!

Yes, the song from Oklahoma! is running through my mind.  It's in the mid-50's sunny, gorgeous, and best of all, it's Saturday!  Every window and door in the house is open - woo hoo! 

This is just a quick post to do a send-off for the second Filmstrip Quilt made with a Momo Odyssea layer cake.  It is headed to Em's school for a Dinner Auction being held as a fund raiser, so hopefully it will fetch a nice price. 



It is backed with Bistro by Deb Strain (love this fabric - I bought all that the LQS had because it was on sale).  The colors in this fabric coordinated beautifully with those in the Odyssea prints, see?  In this picture you can also see the quilting pattern - water ripples with litle fish - could it be any better?


Have a fabulous weekend!

Monday, October 11, 2010

Latest sewing project

I haven't done any quilting lately.  Instead, I have been busy working on Em's Cinderella dress.


I still have to hem it once Em tries it on and then sew a hook and eye above the zipper.  I'm pleased with the costume, but boy was this fabric a pain to work with - slippery and frayed like crazy, plus the sewing machine balked at the sparkly dots on the fabric.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Tackling the elephant

In the entertainment center...


under the bed in the sewing room...



in the sewing room closet (hanging backing fabrics since they are 4-10 yard pieces)..


in the closet drawers (note to self: clean out closet - what a mess!)...


hiding in the keyboard drawer of the old computer desk which is now a fabric holding desk...


I spent part of yesterday going through some of my scraps, cutting them into 2.5" squares and 2.5" strips.  I can use the scrap strips to make more scrappy trip blocks for the quilt top I started last summer.


This is probably about four hours of pressing fabric and cutting - seems like an awful lot of time for a small amount of progress, but it is progress. 

I hope you all are having a fabulous weekend.