Saturday, June 26, 2010
I'm not going to be posting much after this weekend because I'm having surgery to remove a giant cell tumor from my finger - it is really bothering me and I'm looking forward to having it taken out. I was hoping it was something that could have been taken care of in the doctor's office, but unfortunately it's a real surgery thing (what a bummer...anesthesia and I do not generally get along well).
Sunday, June 20, 2010
First up...a pillowcase dress for Em for her birthday (I think I must also make one for Myrtle - her Mommy's cabbage patch doll that is now Em's). My daughter sent me a picture of one of these dresses and asked me if I could make one for Em, so I looked around and found these instructions.
Friday, June 18, 2010
Since I had no quilting-related pictures yesterday. Here are a few.
First a finish
This is the first of two Odyssea Filmstrip Quilts
Here's a close-up of the quilting - it is done with rippling water and fish pattern.
The white solid background on the front of the quilt is Kona Snow, and the backing is Kona Ice Frappe.
You can read more about this quilt by following the links below:
If you would like to know how to make one of these, visit this link:
A couple of goodies to help along a Sew Fest weekend. Chocolate Butter Crunch (a.k.a. "Crack") and a Key Lime Pound Cake (sure to add at least a pound - lol)
There are several projects in the works - more pics to come by the end of the weekend :o) Happy Quilting!
Sunday, June 13, 2010
I get the blocks all sewn together and find the perfect border fabric (shown at the top of the picture), but all I have is a fat quarter. So, I went shopping online for more, and as luck would have it I also found the perfect coordinating fabric for the binding while I was at it...see?
Now for a process-related note: unless you don't mind your directional fabrics going every which way, the Snapshot and Happy Hours patterns are better suited to non-directional fabric. Since I wanted all the elephants and birds upright, I had a more difficult time distributing the blocks in a pleasing way.
I love the quilts shown in this book and can't wait to make another one. I like the Second Hand Strips pattern a lot, especially as the book shows it done in batiks. Kelly has a picture of it on her blog. The best part is that you can use leftover blocks from another quilt in the book, called Triple Treat to make it.
Happy Quilting Everyone!
Sunday, June 6, 2010
I have to say that there are some things I changed and others I wish I'd changed in the construction of this bag.
The first thing I changed was that I eliminated a vertical center seam on the bag front and back. This seam wouldn't have added anything to this bag, and serves no purpose other than a decorative one.
The next thing I changed was the construction of the handles. I like the handles to be a little stiffer, so I cut my handle fabrics 5" wide x 30" long. Then I laid a 2 1/2" wide strip of fusible batting, cut 1" shorter than the fabric, lengthwise down the center of each fabric strip and wrapped each side of fabric toward the center. I fused each edge not quite all the way to the center - to avoid hitting the fusible batting with the iron. I then folded each handle strip in half and pressed it so that the raw fabric edges were enclosed in the center and there was a double thickness of batting in each handle, and topstitched each edge.
In my opinion, the worst part of the bag's construction as designed, is that the instructions have you make the bag, line it and then add the handles and flap afterward by folding the ends over and sewing them along the outside of the bag. When you do this, the stitching shows in the lining. In all fairness, the instructions do tell you that the stitching shows, but I don't like this at all. Having the stitches show through in the lining just looks tacky (especially since my lining was striped - I couldn't have avoided this problem no matter what color thread I used).
It would make more sense to sew the flap and handles into the seam that connects the lining to the bag and then stitch them down before the lining is sewn together. The modifications would entail cutting the batting about 1" shorter than the fabric strips for the handles. Then centering the batting, leaving 1/2" on each end of the handles without batting. In this way, the handles could be sewn into the seam without adding extra bulk. It would involve cutting the batting for the flap 1/2" shorter as well for the same reason, and sewing it into the seam between the lining and the cover along with the ends of the handles. It would be so much neater and easier to do this. I'll definitely try this modification next time.
It's a nice lightweight small bag - I'll definitely make another one.