Saturday, September 4, 2010

One Little Ladybug

One of Em's favorite books is called "Five Little Ladybugs" and here is the first ladybug block for her Ladybugs on Parade quilt.  I bought the pattern and some of the fabrics in Seattle at Undercover Quilts a cool little quilt shop at Pike's Place Market.  This was the same trip where we made the mad dash to Quilting by the Sea in Langley on Whidbey Island - you can read about our madcap adventure here.


This is my first ever applique'd block

I didn't think my older Pfaff had a blanket stitch - I looked all through the owner's manual and couldn't find one anywhere.  Then I spied the open overlock stretch stitch that looks like a slightly slanted blanket stitch. Since the ladybug heads are curved, this stitch works just fine.  I'm glad I assembled one complete block first because I need to take a narrower seam allowance for the tiny squares sewn to the corners of the ladybug bodies otherwise the heads are going to be a bit wider than the body where it is attached (like it is in this block).  I'm pretty sure Em won't mind though.  That's one of the best things about sewing for my granddaughter - she loves everything I make.  I applique'd all fourteen of the ladybug heads for the closed ladybugs around the center of the quilt, so now I'm in business and can get busy making the rest of these blocks. 

I hope you have a great Labor Day weekend, and that you get to spend some quality time at your sewing machine at some point :)

1 comment:

  1. This is your first applique???? Oh Mary - you must do more - it's darling!!! She's going to love it!

    ReplyDelete