Friday, September 24, 2010

A Loveliness of Ladybugs on the Wing

Today started out much better than yesterday :)  This morning I sent the ladybug quilt top, backing and batting off to Angela and so I thought I would look up the term used for a group of ladybugs - so now you know...it's a loveliness of ladybugs :)

Yesterday was a bummer - started out with a real "bang."  I was headed to Em's school for a Grandparent's day celebration and was all excited to see the little pumpkin in action.  I was driving along one of the major roads around here and when I stopped in traffic, the car behind me did not.  If that wasn't bad enough, some of the people driving past the accident were so busy gawking instead of driving that another much worse accident happened right next to ours.  There is a very high concentration of morons on the roads around here.  So my pristine, beautiful vehicle that didn't even have a scratch (and with less than 15,000 miles on it) looked like this


Of course, the driver who rear-ended me was faulted, but when I got to work later and called the insurance company listed on the police report, I found out there's some issue with their insurance.  Again, this is FL, so there is a high likelihood that the insurance card they provided was nothing more than a worthless piece of paper.  So - I'm going to vent here. 

I do the responsible things, maintain insurance, maintain proper distance from the vehicles around me, keep my vehicle in proper working order, don't yak on the cell phone while driving, etc.  Why is it then that I'll likely wind up penalized for being responsible?  After speaking with my insurance company - a well known nationwide insurer, I found out that even though I have uninsured motorist coverage, that this coverage doesn't pay my deductible if it turns out in fact that these people had no insurance.  It only covers medical-related expenses.  Furthermore, the driver appears to be a real dirtbag who doesn't have two nickels to rub together.  So, I'm probaby going to wind up paying out the money for my deductible for a crash I didn't cause. 

I dropped the car off this morning at the auto body shop, and the owner of the shop told me that about 50% of the accident repairs he performs involve a driver hit by someone with no insurance *sigh*

At least I had my Blackberry with me so I could capture the whole experience for posterity.

3 comments:

  1. You know, it makes you wonder sometimes why we bother paying those high insurance rates - oh I could vent right along with you!!! We have an awful lot of morons around here too, you take your life in your hands when you get behind the wheel. I'm so sorry this happened to you, Mary.

    BTW - I love your lady bug quilt - it turned out absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch...I feel your pain! You can go nowhere in the world without bumping into a moron....literally. Just stamp your feet, gnash your teeth, then take a deep breath and walk on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about your accident. I am glad you are all right. We had a run of car accidents with uninsured drivers, but ours drove away, and yes, we had to pay for it from our own insurance. I think it is crazy that you have to buy double insurance - for your mistakes and other driver's too, but it is definitely worth it.

    ReplyDelete