Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Getting my sticky dot thimble thingies out

I can't remember exactly what they are called, but my best friend and quilting buddy gave me these sticky dots that are made of moleskin-like material.  They can be used in lieu of a thimble, you just stick them on your finger (they can be used over and over too) and get going on the hand sewing.  They are one of the best inventions ever.  Unfortunately, I don't have the package so I can't tell you who makes them.


The reason I need the sticky dots is because...look what came home from the quilter last night


The two slideshow quilts :)  and yes, I'm using the red Christmas Cheery Circles fabric that's laying on the table for the binding.  By the way, this is the third cut of this fabric I have bought.  Wondering why?  Read the story here.

There's a new project swirling around in my head that I may want to make for the mother of one of my daughters' friends.  Both of my daughters have been friends with this girl since kindergarten.  Her Mom is giving Emily a full size mattress set that has been in her guest bedroom and has been used only a couple of times.  What a fabulous thing!  Since she won't accept money for the mattress set, I'm going to make her a quilt.  Here are some candidate fabrics.


I have to find out what colors she likes though - the colors and patterns in these fabrics are very bold and may not work in her house.  I purchased them quite some time ago, and if they are right, I'll need to get a yard of the olive-ish green fabric to mix in.  I checked the Kona Cotton color card and the peridot green is also a perfect match in case I can't find the coordinate I'm looking for.  My daughter is going to scope out the colors in her home when she goes to pick up the mattress set.

Finally - and most importantly - Angela from Quiltingismytherapy has agreed to quilt the ladybug quilt.  I am so excited because I wanted the green/blue nine-patch blocks quilted with green thread and the ladybugs quilted with matching/blending threads.  The local quilt shop does a great job quilting as long as they can set the computer and just let it go, but that's not what I wanted for this quilt.  Can you imagine green quilting all over the ladybug blocks?  Since Angela does such fabulous quilting and knows just how use quilting to turn a quilt into a work of art, I couldn't imagine handing this quilt over to anyone else.  I want Emily, her children, her grandchildren, her great-grandchildren...to enjoy this quilt so the quilting has to be just right.

Have a great day :)

3 comments:

  1. I left a comment about the binding fabric...BTW, I love it. Can't wait to see this quilt when it is finished...and I LOVE that ladybug as I have told you before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww......you are so sweet! I cant wait to quilt it.....It's soo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking for those stick on thimbles. I knew they existed! But, I had just about convinced myself I'd made them up after not being able to find them anywhere. Too bad you don't know the name or maker, but at least I know I'm not nuts.

    ReplyDelete