Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The start of something new (and girly)

This was going to be a wordless Wednesday post, but you all know how that goes...

This is the beginning of two quilts being made using a half yard fabric bundle I picked up from Fabricworm a couple months ago.  I decided to start cutting the fabric up last night.  Now let me tell you something important here.  I should be banned from ever even thinking about picking up a rotary cutter at night - especially after a very busy day spent with a three year old sweetie pie who never stops moving.

See the cute red fabric on the left?  It is called Christmas Cheery Circles by Riley Blake - you'll understand in a minute how ironic this name is.  Well, I cut a couple of 2-inch strips and an 8-inch strip following the pattern instructions, and then noticed that it stated that I would need to cut an extra 2-inch strip from a couple of the fabrics.  Since I really liked the red, I decided that I'd cut one of the extra strips from this fabric.  I grabbed the ruler and sliced off the 2-inch strip (smiling to myself because I'm just so clever), put it down with the other strips and turned around.  My heart sank.  I had cut the 2-inch strip off of the 8-inch strip I needed, not the extra remaining fabric. 

Do the math with me and see why I wanted to kick my own butt into tomorrow.  2" + 2" + 2" + 6" (the 8" strip minus the 2" I sliced off) = 12" which left me with a remaining strip of fabric about 6" wide.  Guess what I ordered today?  Another half yard of Christmas Cheery Circles, so I can get my 8" strip.  Guess who's not feeling all that "cheery" about this development *sigh*.

To make matters worse, do you seriously think I could just order a half yard of fabric for $4.25 and pay $5.50 in shipping?  I didn't think so.  I also ordered a yard of Monaluna Organic Monaco Scooters and a half yard of the coordinating stripe.  Don't you think these two fabrics will make a really cute pillowcase dress for Em for next summer?


Just my little attempt to make lemonade out of lemons...

2 comments:

  1. Mary those fabrics are gorgeous, can't wait to see the quilts! Love the fabric on the right.
    BTDT on the cutting at night - but you did good making lemonade out of lemons, I love that little scooter fabric for Em's dress! Very fun and summery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my. You so sound like me....I do know better than to start something when I am worn out, but every now and then I break my own rule and do something just like this....I am not laughing at you...I am laughing with you.

    And why pay $??amount of shipping for one little fabric when you can pay the same amount and get more???

    ReplyDelete