Friday, May 21, 2010

Spring Blogger's Quilt Festival - Roman Holiday

Every quilt has a story, so here's the story of the Roman Holiday Quilt...


This quilt was blogged about off and on for about nine months, but was actually in the works (in my head) for about two years. Yes, it had a very long gestational period. 

The story goes like this...  In 2007, my best friend and quilting buddy, her sister, one of our friends from work, and I decided to take a vacation in the Pacific Northwest.  We did all sorts of sightseeing, stopping at every quilt shop we saw.  We had heard about one shop in particular that we did not want to miss.  Quilting by the Sea in Langley, Washington which is on Whidbey Island.  We arrived by ferry in Anacortes (the north end of the island) from Victoria, B.C. at three in the afternoon, and Quilting by the Sea is located on the southeastern part of the island.  Google estimates it is an hour and a half drive from Anacortes to Langley.  The quilt shop closed at 5:00.  Are you beginning to see a logistical problem here?

By the time we got our car off the ferry and got on the road, we knew we were cutting it close, so we did what any carload of quilters would have done... we called the quilt shop and explained that we were on vacation from Florida and were driving like bats out of H-E-double hockey sticks trying to get to Langley before the shop closed, and asked them if they would please stay open for us (letting them know that we would also make it worth their while).  We spent almost three hours in the shop - the ladies there were so wonderful, and we certainly did make it worth their while - lol.

At Quilting by the Sea, I found and fell in love with a 40 quarter yard, full width of fabric roll of Roman Holiday fabric by Moda and bought it (along with a lot of other fabric).  However, from 2007 until 2009, I couldn't bring myself to cut it because I couldn't visualize the "right" pattern for it.  There are some large prints in this collection and I didn't want to lose them in the cutting.  One day I was looking at the fabric roll and inspiration hit!  I sketched it all out on graph paper because I couldn't afford to miscalculate. I needed to get a big queen size quilt out of this fabric.  Not having quite enough of the Roman Holiday, one cut from Moda's Shangri-La line was used to fill in.  I decided to cut 6" squares and piece them on point. The inner border and backing were made using Chardonnay Leaves, and the remaining fabric was used to make piano key outer borders.  It was quilted using a curly steam pattern in natural color cotton thread.  The finished quilt measures 105" x 105" - just right.

I also made two sets of coordinating pillowcases, the ones shown the pictures above and these.

...and that's the end of the story...  I hope you enjoyed your visit to my little piece of blogland.

Now, head back to the quilt festival and check out all the fabulous quilts!

28 comments:

  1. I love this quilt Mary, love love love it and I love the story too - how wonderful they stayed open for you to shop til you dropped!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary,
    Your quilt is wonderful, love the rich colors, I also like your story of how you were determined to get to the shop on time, I have been to Quilting by the Sea, as I used to live in Wa. state, now living in NE Fl. Where are you?
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, Mary, what a fabulous story! HILARIOUS! and I can't believe you stayed 3 hours in the shop! What a wonderful story, for such a wonderful quilt!
    I am still laughing!
    and thanks for stopping by and sharing my quilt,
    Valentina from Cyprus

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great story and a beautiful quilt!
    Kristina
    www.priscillacraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great tale !
    I know the feeling of just wanting to "pet" a perfect fabric bundle !
    This is a good way to be able to enjoy every piece in all of it's loveliness ! And 105" by 105" !.....my daughter is wanting a KING size quilt, and I think I'm going to have to make it in 3 pieces to be able to machine-quilt it comfortably ! How did you do it?

    I found this blog background, called "sea glass" and wanted to use it for my post (it's a little more than halfway down this page.... http://shelsscraps.blogspot.com/
    but, on my blog, it caused the post to read partly in the background edges, so that a person couldn't read the text. But isn't it beautiful?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the background story. Well worth the effort for yourself and the store.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! Nothing like a good story to make the quilt that much better! So funny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun story and a gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always liked these fabrics. Nice quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lovely! I can see why it took you a while to cut into such beautiful fabrics. Your quilt looks awesome :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt is so beautiful and I love the story. I lived on Whidbey Island back in the early '70's for 5 years. It is so very pretty up there. I am glad that you shared that quilt in the festival. This is so much fun and I am getting a lot of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous quilt and great story!! It turned out so great!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely! I love finding the perfect backing fabric... looks like you do too! glorious red!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is indeed lovely. Great story. I find it hard to cut into fabrics until I find the 'right' pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Roman Holiday is one of my perennial favorite collections, and the backing fabric is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the pop of gold in this fabric line, nice job on this beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very, very, very nice quilt!!! Good work!!! Happy Festival!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very, very, very nice quilt!!! Good work!!! Happy Festival!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your quilt is beautiful. I love the fabric selection.

    ReplyDelete
  20. this is a beauty for sure...that border and backing really add to the quilt. I did enjoy hearing the story that went along with it.

    If you want to see mine, take a look HERE.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful quilt. Great fabrics and colors. Love it!

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your quilt is beautiful! Glad they kept the shop open for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. beautiful quilt!! talk about cross country--think that's over 3000 miles!! whidbey is such a beautiful place. love the story of the trip and the shop and your journey in making this lovely piece

    ReplyDelete
  24. what a great way to showcase your fav fabs. The back is an unexpected blast of color-lovely.
    Come see my antique quilt entries
    http://utahquiltappraiser.blogspot.com
    http://starleyquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete