Thursday, May 13, 2010

Sewing...but not Quilts

I have been on a clothes sewing tear.  I finished the tunic made with Anna Maria Horner voile, and I'm very happy with it - so much so, that I'm wearing it to work tomorrow.  Although the fabric has a very slight sheen, it is not as shiny as it appears in this picture - it's a side effect of the flash.


Working with this fabric was interesting and I didn't have any problems at all.  What I did do before I started though was to put a Schmetz Microtex Sharp needle in my sewing machine and thread my machine with high quality silk finish 100% cotton thread.  The sewing went like a dream.  I use microtex sharp needles for quilt block piecing too - I prefer the fine needle (although they do tend to dull much more quickly than regular sharps). 

I like this voile fabric so much that I ordered more - Coloring Garden in Dusk

I also have finished two summer outfits for Em.  I used to make them for my girls when they were little, so it was fun reminiscing as I was sewing.  It was a little strange too - thinking that I was sitting there at my sewing machine half a lifetime ago (I was actually a little less than half my current age) making these outfits for my two little ones who were napping while I sewed.  Seemed like yesterday *gulp*

3 comments:

  1. How lovely Mary - you are so talented! I can't sew clothing at all. I love that top you made for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My EmmyLu is going to LOVE these (and so am I)!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the tops. You are so talented!!!

    ReplyDelete