Friday, May 7, 2010

Buy 3 get 2 free

Need I say more?  I was at the local quilt shop about 15 minutes after they opened this morning.  I was only late because Alsley decided to go rolling in the wet grass and then in the sand, so I had to give him a bath before I could leave.  It's okay though because giving him a bath was on my to do list anyway (just not first thing in the morning).  It was one of the local quilt shops' 5th anniversary of their store opening, so the owner decided to do buy 3 yards of fabric, get 2 free for the sale - yowzah that's 40% off!

A few weeks ago the owner had told me to hold off buying the batik backing fabric for the queen size strip tube quilt until her anniversary sale - I had no idea it was going to be such a great S-A-L-E!  I needed 8 yards of batik backing and 2 yards of batik border/binding fabric, and considering batiks are usually around $10/yard, this sale was a real deal.  So, did I buy only what I needed?  Of course not!  I also bought five more yards of fabric (that were technically "free," right?  Yes, right) that I had been eyeing.  When all was said and done, I walked out of there with 15 yards of fabric for under $100 including tax - not bad.  Just showing the fabric purchased for the strip tube quilt right now though. Here's the inner border/binding fabric

This is the backing

and I was so inspired that I came home and sewed the bali pop strips together


Now the seams need to be pressed and the pieced fabric sliced across to get 6.5" pieced strips and then we'll have outer borders, but it is over 90 degrees outside and the a/c is cranking right now.  I'll wait until tonight when the sun goes down to warm up the iron.

Getting up early, early tomorrow for a 5K with my youngest daughter in the sticky heat - mornings down here are especially humid and there's generally no sea breeze until later in the day, so I don't know what I'll accomplish tomorrow.  I suspect it will take me about 8 hours to cool off afterwards - lol.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the fabric and the top you made is so cute. I love, love, love the purples and greens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - Alsley wanted in on the action - he knew you were going out! What a great sale, I love those fabrics, good thing you waited. I've never bought batiks, I had no idea they were so expensive. Your strips look GREAT, oh my so straight and even - I can't wait to see this quilt finished.

    ReplyDelete