Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A very, very sad day

Abby made her final trip to the veterinarian this afternoon.  She suffered a bad seizuire Sunday night and when the vet saw her, he found a large tumor under her tongue and determined the seizure was due to kidney/liver failure.  We brought her home and last night the girls came over said their goodbyes.  Abby and I made a trip to the pet goodie store this morning for a special cookie and a particular chewy bone she enjoys.  We sat out under the big oak tree in the back yard - the weather was actually breezy and unusually comfortable today.  I believe God gave us such perfect weather so Abby's last day could be spent sniffing the breeze and resting outside with us.  She was ready to leave us, but of course our hearts are aching because there is now a gigantic empty spot in our family.  I am grateful to have had one more day with my little old girlfriend.  We will adjust to this change in our lives, but it will take some time.  Abby will forever live in our hearts.

Abby
3/3/1999 - 4/28/2010

10 comments:

  1. It so saddened me to read about Abby. I can feel your pain and hope that your wonderful memories of her ease it somewhat.
    My husband and I have suffered the loss of a dear dear friend twice in the past (we also had a pug...Susie Wong...so very sweet and she was taken from us in too short a time, 10 years old) Your Abby was not much older. We then were blessed with a 'hot dog' for 18 yrs, Slinky. We again were grief stricken and heartbroken.
    Share your grief and your memories...Abby deserves it.
    Warm thoughts and hugs to you and your family.
    BTW For the past 6 years we have our little Margret Mary (another hot dog) who has stolen our hearts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss. I know how pets become part of the family. You will always have memories and I hope you will remember them all. I will pray you have comfort knowing she is a more comfortable place and waiting for you in heaven! Take care Mary, Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so touched by your post. I've only once had to make this decision, but I know it will come again, and I truly know how hard it is. I love how you made her last day so special. Amazing! I hope to be able to do the same . God bless and I hope the Happy remmebrances come sooner than later, to lift your heart when you think of her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Mary. I'm so so sorry. I'm sitting here bawling my eyes out. God bless you and your girls. Abby was such a sweetheart. I was blessed to have her sneeze on my toes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very sorry about Abby. I remember every one of my pets very fondly. They add so much to life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry you have lost Abby. It's heartbreaking to lose a pet, but eventually it's the good memories that replace the emptiness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary. I am so sorry - it is SO hard to lose a pet, they give us such unconditional love and such joy. You're in my heart and prayers tonight, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

    Our fur babies hold a special place in our hearts.

    Take comfort in knowing, Abby is running and playing with all the other fur babies at the Rainbow Bridge waiting for you.

    God Speed Abby!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry for the loss of your friend. I too have a pug and know that the day is coming when we will likely have to make the same decision. Take care and feel peace in the knowledge that you were able to give her a warm, loving home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. my thoughts are with you it is a sad time I lost my cat last year still miss him like crazy. take care of each other love Nicole

    ReplyDelete