Saturday, February 27, 2010

An Early Start for Saturday

I was up at 5:30 (yes, I know it's Saturday *sigh*).  I've been keeping up with Pam's Mama Spark's World Blog and she's been working hard at making fitness gains and losing weight with steady success.  I've been feeling slug-like and so I decided to do a 2 mile race over and back on one of the causeways this morning.  It was drizzly and in the 40s, but not much wind at all.  The race started at 8:00 and there was also a 10K race, but I'm not in shape for that distance right now.  I had a decent time, I came in at 27:39 minutes, or a 13:50/mile pace - not bad for doing the biggest hill in town - lol


See?  Unfortunately the skies and water both looked grey this morning though.

Now for Quilting...  I bartered with a very generous quilter in our little group of friends who get together every few months for a weekend long SewFest.  She had almost ten yards of Benartex The Quiltmaker's Gift fabric.  I kept looking at the fabric and trying to figure out a pattern or find a one that wouldn't require me to cut it all up into small pieces.  I finally found the pattern that will allow me to keep the focal fabric intact, AmandaJean's Figgy Pudding.  I may alter the pattern to make it full bed size quilt for Em and give it to her when she gets a little older along with the Quiltmaker's Gift Book (which I bought right after she was born *grin*). 



I'm going to use the fabric on the right for the center panel and the cream tone on tone next to it which is the same print for the "solid."  The rest of the fabrics are mostly quarter yards, so I can use them for the strips, but there are a couple of 1 yard cuts that I'll use to make some blocks for the back.  There is also a quarter yard cut of the  border stripe next to the left-most fabric that I plan to incorporate into the pieced back - I think there's going to be a lot more piecing on the back that there is on the front, but I want the quilt to be reversible, so the back's got to be just as pretty.  I'm even thinking of making several Quiltmaker's Gift blocks to intersperse throughout the back.  I feel so blessed to have been able to get this fabric to make my little sweetie a quilt (excuse me, another quilt). 

I want so badly to work on this right now, but I have to put it away until I get a few other things finished up. Sure is fun to play with fabric though, isn't it?

1:00 p.m. Okay, so you know what isn't fun?  Getting something all pinned and ready to quilt and then realizing that you don't have the right color thread to use - grrrr.  I may have to make an emergency trip to Joann's ... but it so yucky outside - wah!

1 comment:

  1. My legs hurt just reading this, Mary! I've been feeling like a slug after reading all about Pam's hard work too. Especially since hubby keeps baking yummy [fattening] treats.

    That fabric is awesome, can't wait to see it made up! I hope you get your thread so you can quilt that fabulous coin quilt!

    ReplyDelete