Sunday, December 6, 2009

Misadventures in Baking *sigh*

Okay - this post has nothing to do with quilting (although I have done plenty of bone-headed things in quilting too). I go to church at the local university, and we were asked to bring goodies for tonight's Mass. It is the last evening Mass of the semester and it is always held outdoors by the huge Christmas Tree outside the Student Union building. My best friend and quilting buddy had made the most delicious cherry chocolate cake a few months ago and so I decided to make it, especially since it was very festive when made in a bundt pan.

It would have been a great idea - however the recipe that I thought she used was for a chocolate cherry DUMP cake (duh - most people would probably know that a DUMP cake is done in a 13 x 9 pan for a reason - not me though). When I pulled the cake out of the oven, I got a little suspicious, so I called my best friend and quilting buddy to ask her if it should look like it did. When she mentioned the recipe calling for almond extract, I thought to myself, "hmmm...this recipe didn't call for almond extract. I wonder...."

You guessed it - wrong recipe. I tried to unmold it and it was a mess. So what am I doing? I bought two boxes of gourmet frozen cookies to bake from Em's school a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving for a fundraiser - white chocolate macadamia nut and walnut chocolate chunk. All I had to do is let them thaw, slap 'em on greased cookie sheets, bake, cool, and done! I'm still going to go get the ingredients to make the right cake in a little bit, because I can't just bring these cookies in good conscience. Most of these students have been away from home since August and they're such great kids - they deserve something homemade. So I'm heading out in a few minutes to the store. Have a wonderful and peaceful Sunday. Do some sewing for me, okay?


1:30 pm Update:  Well, everything is done - I remade the cherry chocolate cake using the correct recipe, but in a 13 x 9 pan since I don't have time to correct another disaster.  I made that frosting where you cook, sugar, butter, and half & half. Then you stir in a cup of semi sweet chocolate morsels and just pour it over the warm cake - it's my favorite chocolate icing, especially when the cake has cherries in it - yummy.  I just sat down to catch my breath before cleaning up.

No comments:

Post a Comment