Friday, October 9, 2009

Bloggers Fall Quilt Festival Entry


My favorite quilt is probably the one that is the most subdued colorwise of any of the quilts I've ever made. I bought a bunch of Spice Market fat quarters when a local quilt shop was going out of business. They were only 25 cents a piece and as I was buying them I was wondering what in the world I would make with them. Well, several months later I ran across a pattern called Caddy Corners from Good Intentions. I thought that I'd give these fabrics a whirl since it was one of the Laps from Fats quilts. I was a little short on fat quarters and my best friend and quilting buddy happened to have some fats and scraps that worked right in, so I incorporated them as well.







As I was making the blocks, I wasn't thrilled because the colors were not what I would normally have picked. However, I found an outer border fabric that I liked a lot and it seemed to tie the whole thing together.








While making the back, I made a mistake and wound up having to incorporate some of the border fabric to make the mistake look like a "design choice" and it actually wound up a good thing because those two inserts are on the long sides, so I know how to position the quilt on the bed so it covers the top correctly.

In any case, I had it quilted and when I got it back I noticed that one of the blocks was turned sideways! Everytime I looked at the quilt, all I could see was my mistake. I was horrified, but do you know what? I had to learn to accept my mistake and over time, this has become my favorite quilt. This quilt came together with the help of my best friend, has a flaw that I only see if I choose to focus on it, and everytime I curl up with it, I feel like I'm getting a wonderful hug. So it's a good metaphor for two life lessons for me: Don't concentrate on life's flaws - if you look at the big picture, they're really insignificant most of the time, and forgive myself and others - nobody's perfect.




38 comments:

  1. This quilt turned out great! Sometimes those fabrics we aren't too sure about make the best quilts. Good Job! I like the back the way it turned out too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a stunning quilt! I love this little festival, it is so fun to meet new quilters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great scrap quilt, I love your colors, and darn if I can find any mistakes in this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how the paisley connected everything. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scrap quilts are wonderful. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, This is a wonderful quilt. It is very colorful and perfect. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilt...it looks very cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a lovely, cozy looking quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great colors in your quilt! I love it when a mistake makes me have to come up with a creative idea! I like your "design choice" :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a hard time getting past 'twenty-five cents' to look at this quilt, lol - Mary, it's a stunner! Congratulations on such a beauty! I love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is so funny about not seeing the mistake until it is completely finished. that happens to me, too. i love the quilt. those are definitely my colours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this quilt. It's beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your quilt. I love fat quarters. I don't have the space I used to so fat quarter quilts are wonderful.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt is beautiful. I love the "mistake". Such warm colors. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah. the humility block. I bet that every one of us has done something similar. And isn't it funny that something so totally out of our comfort zone color-wise turns out to be a favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is beautiful...thanks for the little bits of wisdom. i love how quilts mirror life and are full of love and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mary, It is a wonderful quilt and what a terrific price for fat quarters. I went into one of our LQS not long ago and the price for one fat quarter was $5.25 Canadian.
    One of the things that I love about quilting is that it teaches one to be a great problem solver- when one thing doesn't work out one finds a different way to fix it.
    I love the way the back worked out and I am sure others would be hard pressed to find your error. It makes the quilt yours and unique.
    Thanks for sharing your wonderful quilt.
    Enjoy the show.
    Regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  18. way to use up that fabrics! looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely quilt and an more lovely message!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a lovely quilt. If you find you can't live with the special design element you put in the front, well I could. Would you like my address?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very lovely quilt.

    Jocelyn
    http://happycottagequilter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am horribly partial to scrap quilts. I love these deep rich browns.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the warm comfy colors you used ...Scrappy quilts are my favorites

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very pretty! Isn't it funny how mistakes turn out good sometimes?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like the binding fabric on the back! It totally looks like a design choice. Isn't it funny how oops played right can turn out like brilliant choices?

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is a lovely, scappy quilt. Your "design choice" is one of my favorite parts of the quilt. Great colors. I love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your quilt and all that it means to you! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. 25 cent FQ's????

    A wonderful quilt, and I can't find a mistake.....

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a lovely quilt and I love the warm toasty colors especially now that Fall is in the air, even in CA. I did have to laugh though, why is it we MUST tell everyone there is a mistake, I know I sometimes do that as I am unfolding the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's a wonderful quilt with great colours just like a New England Fall trip.

    I point out my "errors" too with my art---afterwards most people say they never would have noticed it if I didn't point it out. I think it's neat you saw the lesson in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like it the quilt very nice.
    Marika

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wonderful quilt and wonderful story. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Well said and a lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is beautiful. I know you indicated the colors where not what you would normally chose, but it looks so warm and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I really love this quilt! It's been on my to-do list but....you know. Anyway, I love the colors you choose. It doesn't get any better than that!

    ReplyDelete