Saturday, August 29, 2009

Strip Tubing

No, it's not floating down the Ichetucknee in an inner tube with no clothes on! I saw this book called, "Strip Tubing" in the quilt shop a couple months ago and they had an example of the quilt shown on the cover all made up in juvenile prints - it was adorable. So...I have a lot of batiks and could not figure out what to do with them. The quilts in this book are all made by sewing full wof strips together into tubes and then using a special ruler (yes, another special ruler!) cutting them into triangles, mixing them up, and sewing them back together. Sound familiar? Yes, sort of like the funky stripes - what was I thinking? Seriously though, the owner of the quilt shop said that with this ruler, they really do go together very nicely. My thinking is that since batiks are not very stretchy, that they will work very well with all the cutting on the bias. I'll still have to be careful, but they should work better than other fabrics as far as retaining their size and shape goes.

I'm not goint to do the quilt pattern on the cover of the book, but there is another one that I think will be perfect for the variety of fabrics that I plan to use. This quilt is going to be for my oldest daughter. Her favorite color is purple, but since she's 28, I want don't want to overdo it. I think that the variety of purples, turquoise, navy, greens, and golds will be nice. I'm thinking about throwing a small amont of red in just for good measure. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing this - those batiks are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so bright & beautiful. Anxious to see finished. Have a beautiful weekend. TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete