Sunday, June 21, 2009

The heat is on

Happy First day of Summer! It is NOT the first day of summer here in FL though - the a/c here has been running 24 hours a day, seven days a week for about two months now.

Today the heat index was up to 100 degrees by 9:45 a.m. Too hot to even think about sitting on the beach or sewing - just the heat coming off the light bulb on the sewing machine is too much. I went to church early, stopped by to see my Mom, and then headed home. I gave Alsley a bath because his allergies are bothering him and he's still shedding like crazy. I took a shower and now am enjoying a day of rest.

I was trying to think of a good picture to post - so here is a diaper bag that I made for Emily - It was a summery, beachy looking bag (big surprise, right?). Before she was born, I had looked high and low for a well-made diaper bag that was cute and not too expensive - when I couldn't find what I was looking for, naturally I made it :o) It's an adorable bag - a little bit of a pain to make, but worth it. The pattern was in the May/June 2004 Fons & Porter Love of Quilting magazine and it was called Designer Tote Bag. It reminds me of those Vera Bradley bags.

This bag was quilted with a scallop stitch that look like waves. It has three outside pockets and pockets to hold bottles inside. It's a little bit faded because it's been washed many, many times over two years, but it has held up very well to the wear and tear. My daughter loves it too because it's very light to carry. I made another one with Kaffe Fasset fabrics - the next time she brings it over, I'll take a picture of it too. If you have the chance to get hold of the pattern, these bags make a fabulous baby shower gift that will surely be used.

3 comments:

  1. Great bag! Funny how we didn't pay that much attention to bags back in 2004. Now they are everywhere.

    Jocelyn
    fellow Floridian

    ReplyDelete
  2. And guess what?? I just found that I have a copy of that magazine! COOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really nice! Love the fabrics. I got my a/c in today - first time, for the first day of summer. It's going to feel like FL this week in MI!

    ReplyDelete