Monday, May 25, 2009

Step away from the sewing machine!




That's what my daughter said when she came over this morning... Okay, so maybe I'm a little obsessed with sewing, but I guess sewing until 10:30 last night and then waking up and starting back in at 6:30 this morning is a bit much. I've made such progress though. I finished 49 nine patches, squared them all off and then cut 36 layer cake squares down to 9.5" and laid the blocks out. It is always so exciting to see everything laid out for the first time! The finished quilt should be about 84" x 84" which will be just right for my Mom's full size bed. Since she is in a wheelchair, it can't hang down very far because if it hangs near the floor it is too easy for bedding to get wrapped around the wheels of her power chair.


In any case, I'm cut off from sewing for the rest of the day (at least until everyone goes home tonight...moohahaha). I've been thinking a lot about my dad today. He served 36 years in the Air Force, was in France during WWII (as an 18 year old soldier), the Korean War, and also the Vietnam War. He passed away in 1988 at 66 years old. I miss him so much - he was always the rational one, the voice of reason in my life. In any case, I'm keeping all those who served or who currently serve and their families in my thoughts and prayers today.


1 comment:

  1. That quilt is stunning! I can see why you can't stop working on it! Your dad sounds like a lovely man. I just lost a man I called "Pa", he was a decorated Korean war vet and also very rational, and guided me through many minefields in my life. My dad was also a Korean vet. Yes, a good day to remember them.

    ReplyDelete