Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Roman Holiday Quilt Borders

I'm probably jumping ahead of myself here, but I finished pressing the seams for the last eleven strips tonight, so I'll start sewing them together tomorrow. This is the fabric that I purchased to make the inner border. I purposely didn't use it at all in the rest of the quilt because I want it to stand out. Each scrolly feathery thing is about 3.5" wide x 5" long. I'm wrestling with how wide to make the inner border. The finished quilt size will be about 108" x 108" and my outer border will be piano key style where each "key" is 7" x 3" (unfinished), so my outer border will be 6.5" wide. Okay - maybe this is a good opportunity to post a poll...How wide should my inner border be?

I'm also using this fabric for the quilt backing and binding (I bought twelve yards!!!) I'm thinking that I might just have enough left over to make some pillow case ends...

1 comment:

  1. I love this color! I choose inner border sizes by laying out my fabrics and just looking. Normally (but not always) I go with either 1/3 or 1/2 the width of the outer border but I always like to see it first. It kind of depends on the size of the squares in the quilt.

    Thanks for the compliment you left me!

    ReplyDelete